Did you know that your liver has over 500 jobs to keep you healthy?! One of its main jobs is knowing when to detox your body by getting toxins out through sweat, urine, and poop, when to store nutrients, and when to release them into the blood.
In today's world, there are SO MANY TOXINS - from the food you eat to the clothes you put on to the skincare products you use. Overloading your body with all these toxins can put your liver into overdrive! As we all know, being in overdrive 24/7 is not sustainable 😫. So what can you do to make sure your liver keeps functioning at its best but not put yourself through a juice cleanse every week?! Here's 5 simple things...
1. Drink Your Water Drink half your body weight (in ounces) of water each day. This provides your body with the water necessary to transport nutrients to the appropriate organs and muscles but also to flush out the toxins that are causing your belly bloat, fatigue, and brain fog.
2. Buy Organic for the Dirty Dozen Each year, the Environmental Working Group publishes the Dirty Dozen and the Clean 15. These guides provide consumers with the 12 fruits and veggies that are highest in pesticides (the Dirty Dozen) and the top 15 fruits and vegetables that were treated with the least amount of pesticides (Clean 15). Where possible, buy organic for the Dirty Dozen to lessen your toxic load from pesticides. Get the guide at https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/.
3. Dry Brushing Dry brushing has been around for centuries and is thought to help stimulate the lymphatic system (the system in your body that helps fight off infections), exfoliate your skin (the largest organ in your body), and promote relaxation. You can purchase a dry brush on Amazon (here's the one I got) and start brushing upward from your feet to your heart, breaking your body into sections and brushing your arms last. When you're done brushing, hop into a cool shower to rinse off the dead skin cells. Afterward, consider using a natural plant oil or lotion to moisturize your skin.
4. Take An Epsom Salt Bath When you dissolve Epsom salt in a warm bath and soak for 20 minutes at the end of the day 2-3 times per week, you are going to experience multiple benefits such as:
Promoting relaxation which lowers your cortisol levels and improves your sleep.
Drawing toxins out of your body.
Absorbing the magnesium (from the dissolved Epsom salt) into your pores and fighting off inflammation.
You can grab a bag of Epsom salt at your local drugstore, grocery store, or here on Amazon. I like Dr. Teals best because they incorporate aromatherapy so you get the biggest bang from your bath. If you are pregnant, be sure your bath is warm to the touch, and don't soak for more than 10 minutes.
5. Sweat It Out A daily sweat sesh will always be effective in releasing toxins out of your body, plus you'll benefit from the endorphins you get when you move your body! This could look like a hot yoga class, a run, or any type of workout that promotes your body to start cooling itself with sweat. Just be sure to shower soon after your session so that your body doesn't reabsorb the toxins it released.